'The Gravedigger’s Wife' to receive highly anticipated UK cinematic release in October 2022

smallThe Gravediggers Wife 5 photo Arttu Peltomaa eBufo2021

Aya Films is thrilled to announce the acquisition of award-winning The Gravedigger’s Wife

The film is the directorial debut from Finnish-Somali director and writer Khadar Ayderus Ahmed and the release will mark the first time a Somali-language feature film has reached UK audiences. It will be released on 21 October 2022 in cinemas nationwide to coincide with Somali Week.

The Gravedigger’s Wife is a poetic romance that centres on a family facing impossible loss, and the lengths one man will go to for the person he loves. The film premiered during Critics Week at Cannes and made history as Somalia’s first ever Oscars entry in 2021. It has since been warmly received on the festival circuit, winning numerous awards including the coveted Golden Stallion of Yennenga for Best Film at FESPACO, the Amplify Voices Award at TIFF and an incredible five awards at the 2021 Africa Movie Academy Awards.

The film captures the essence of care through which the smallest moments become powerful declarations of devotion, as a husband fights to save his wife and family. Moving cinematography brings a unique portrayal of Somali cinema, on Somali terms to the screen. It provides a unique opportunity for UK audiences to bear witness to a Somali love story.

Aya Films will mark the start of the release at the opening of Somali Week on 21 October in partnership with Kayd Somali Arts and Culture and Almas Arts Foundation. Kayd founded Somali Week, now the largest Somali festival outside of the Horn of Africa, over 11 years ago as an artistic platform and celebration of Somali artists.

I made this film for Somali people across the world. It is a story rooted in a culture I was born and raised in, but it is also a universal story of love, dedication and the lengths we are willing to go to for people we care about. I am so excited for UK audiences to finally have the opportunity to experience it” says director Khadar Ayderus Ahmed.

Ahmed, along with lead actor Omar Abdi will tour the UK for Q&As after screenings in London, Bristol, Sheffield, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow and more.